Wednesday, 28 October 2009

Silence video experiment & amnesty brief

Today I decided to join Laura and Nia on the amnesty international brief as I felt I couldn't focus my creative ideas properly alone. We had a thinking session, where we worked out our target audience, the desired tonality of the campaign and began skamping ideas this evening. I'm quite happy with how this is going now as it makes much more sense to work on the commercial aspects together whilst being able to carry on experimenting with the open ended ideas from the first part alone. These continued experiments should feed into the amnesty campaign but also help me in my own graphic practice.

This evening I attempted an experiment with the post box format mask I had developed as a metaphor during the first part of the silence brief. I've used recycled footage from a 1995 film called dead man walking because I've been looking at amnestys campaigns, and one that had a strong effect on me was the plea to abolish the death penalty.

The length of the film is perhaps a little too long and there are minor discrepancies with the size of the mask (does this add an extra visual treat?) but I think from this initial experiment it's easy to tell that the graphic element adds a powerful element of intrigue and discomfort to the viewing experience, supported by the low frequency sound I attached. I wonder whether the revelation of the few frames of exposed footage at the end are neccessary though, it feels a little gimmicky to be honest, but could possibly work in the commercial arena?

I am also waiting upon four magic lantern slides from the early 1900s with images of early x-rays exposed onto them. Providing there is time I intend to do some scanning experiments, projections and photography with them when they arrive in the post. I had a little feedback with Hitch last night who said I should continue with the scanned imagery and photocopier manipulation and also see how far I can go with bringing letterpressed type and a narrative in without losing the strong silent sensibility.

Silence experiment from Arron Tierney on Vimeo.


No comments:

Post a Comment